protection
French 
CrawlTrack, webmaster dashboard.
Web analytic, SEO and protection

CrawlProtect, your website safety.
Reinforced protection

Two php/MySQL scripts, free and easy to install
The tools you need to manage and keep control of your site.

diable

CrawlTrack and CrawlProtect support forum

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Some suggestions I have came up with after some time of usage

#1 19-09-2010 13:16:15

ivand
Nouveau membre

Some suggestions I have came up with after some time of usage

CrawlTrack is still one of my favourites but there are few things that bother me.

I use it with bunch of domains and when the traffic gets to 50k in any given period it can be quite slow. Also when I use one tag to track multiple unspecified domains it gets even slower.. probably because it checks for backlinks or something?

Main concern is slowness and this is why I can't really use it on high traffic sites or networks.

Another thing is related to something that plagues all the PHP stats programs in some ways - lots of bots fake themselves as real visitors by faking useragent and not visiting robots.txt. This is why javascript tracking is usually much more precise.

Is there anything that could be done to cut out all the bots. Perhaps some sort of test? For example injected javascript snippet that does simple calculation in example.. this would have to be enabled manually of course from CT settings. It would be good if it didn't leave footprint though so that hackers wouldn't figure out that they are dealing with crawltrack when they see some javascript snippet in the source code.

#2 19-09-2010 16:22:49

MindlessGenius
Membre

Re: Some suggestions I have came up with after some time of usage

Hi,

Java script is interpreted by the browser/client for processing and can thus be easily defeated by simply adding code to the client that block all <script type="text/javascript"> document.write ("Hello World! I'm a tracker!") </script> statement embedded in the page, and allows everything else.

Think of noscript  http://noscript.net/ type product for Firefox for example...  Easily defeated!

Here is noscript google description for your enjoyment:
NoScript for Firefox pre-emptively blocks malicious scripts and allows JavaScript, Java and other potentially dangerous content only from sites you trust.

Just my two bits!

Last edited by MindlessGenius (19-09-2010 16:30:08)

Guy Deschênes
http://www.hermes-computers.ca

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Some suggestions I have came up with after some time of usage

Board footer