protection
French 
CrawlTrack, webmaster dashboard.
Web analytic, SEO and protection

CrawlProtect, your website safety.
Reinforced protection

Two php/MySQL scripts, free and easy to install
The tools you need to manage and keep control of your site.

diable

CrawlTrack and CrawlProtect support forum

You are not logged in.

#1 23-09-2009 14:35:57

ivand
Nouveau membre

Stats tracking bug

Found that my stats were extremely inflated and now I finally figured it out. It seems that CrawlTrack also tracks hotlinked photos and favicon.ico loads as a unique visitors. this is not correct behavior because favicon.ico could be loaded by browser when people check their bookmarks and well hotlinkers watching photos on other site than you could inflate the stats extremely.

To verify if the visitor is really a visitor some check needs to be added, perhaps check the content type or if also page that the images were on gets loaded or maybe referral? Don't even know what to suggest in here really sad

#2 23-09-2009 14:51:10

ivand
Nouveau membre

Re: Stats tracking bug

Actually I just thought of solution -> 1. Add tracking tag into index.php of a CMS 2. Add second tracking tag into CMS templates footer.php that verifies that it is an actual web page.

Not the best solution but this should help to totally cut out those favicon.ico and hotlinked image hits or at least make it possible to see how many real unique visitors you have.

#3 23-09-2009 22:29:19

Jidébé
Administrateur

Hi,

To count anything, the CrawlTrack tag need to be load and treated. I don't understand how it's possible with an .ico or an image file.
The only possibility to have this type of url seen by Crawltrack is if the visitor asking that url has been redirect to a page where the tag is included (in case of error 404 for example). Are you sure that it's not the case?

Jean-Denis

CrawlTrack & CrawlProtect developer

#4 25-09-2009 12:13:10

ivand
Nouveau membre

Yes you are right again. For some reason it doesn't show it under Errors 404 though which is why I got confused. Turns out favicon.ico didn't exist and it loaded default Wordpress 404 page with the Crawltrack tag.

Board footer